Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Forget the Narrative

Spring, 2011
2-D Art, Niku Kashef
California State Northridge

Basic principles of design. Almost 3 months after class is over, let's see if I remember the elements that impact an image: Line, Shape, Value, Texture, Color,... and Space, according to Wikipedia, which makes sense but I don't recall emphasizing it. Not too bad. Principles of those elements...symmetry, movement, oh, now I remember illusion of SPACE, which I guess our class categorized differently, pattern, ...damn, that's all I got. Unity, Harmony, Balance, Emphasis, Contrast, Proportion, Pattern. Damn, I was way off. But I do remember Illusion of Space and Illusion of Movement, so I guess Niku Kashef and Wikipedia beg to differ.

What I did learn was the value of patience, neatness, and that ever-redundant lesson, the value of time. I've never fancied myself an artist. Even in movie-making I've identified myself at best as a kid with a toy. Hell of a lot of fun, but I never give care to the rough edges or paint drips. This class made me find the capacity to finish a piece with a more calculated eye. This made me realize that with even more effort I was capable of coming kind of close to achieving a professional result. The act of creating became slightly less mysterious.

Without further ado!

Assignment #1: Line
Title: Binary

Photobucket

Assignment #2: Shape
Title: At the Mountains of Madness

Photobucket

Assignment #3: Value
Title: Sebastian in Gray

Photobucket

Assignment #4: Texture
Title: Neo/Static

Photobucket

Assignment #5: Color
Title: Doomsayers- What Him 'Em

Photobucket
Photobucket

Final: Incorporate Elements & Principles of design into a themed book.
Title: Long Live the New Flesh
Where I learned to "let go of the narrative". This simple statement of Niku's opened this "3-part structure"storyteller's mind like Dream's ruby.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment